Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Non-graded assessments

While reading the article for last week and listening to Tony's presentation, I was once again struck by the conundrum of how to adapt my grading to better facilitate student learning. Indeed, the paradox of learning and grading has always been a point of concern in my own classes. Because of this, I was grateful for the insights offered both by Tony and by the article. What I want to address, though, is the educational value that I have found in the use of non-graded assessments.

I suspect that many of you, like me, use non-graded assessments in your classrooms to try to assess learning in creative ways while sidestepping some of the problems that come with grades. I like non-graded assessments, because when I read them, I don't have to worry about critiquing individual students. I can spend more time assessing my own teaching through student feedback. One technique that I use in my classroom is the "one-minute paper." This assessment technique is more frequently used by colleges and universities and is succinctly articulated by Tom Angelo and Patricia Cross and is explained more indepth by Steven Draper of the Universtiy of Glasgow. Basically, I ask students to take out a 3x5 index card and to spend one minute writing as much as they can reflecting on a prompt question that I give. I might ask students what they thought was the point of class that day to see if I am doing a good job articulating my learning objectives. I might ask what lingering questions students have or what they thought were the most important two (or three or four) things they learned that period. I love the instant feedback that they give me. I usually can read about 3-4 minute papers per minute.

Has anyone else used this technique or a similar technique? Did you find the two links that I provided helpful? What other forms of non-graded assessment do you use? What are some of the strengths and/or drawbacks of this form of assessment? I am excited to get your insight.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mwiebe said...

I use a similar technique on occasion, usually asking what questions are still unanswered or what was most clear. I also use these to ask students what they want to learn more about. This is where I get the biggest variety of responses, as well as some insight into what my students are curious about. If I can fit their curiosities into my future classes, I do that. If I can't, that is a great use for my class blog. I usually find a few web resources and post them to my blog for those students who want to go deeper into a subject than we have time for in class.
These 'one minute essays' have been especially helpful when trying a new teaching strategy or technique for the first time. Like Jared said, the instant feedback is great.
When I first started asking these questions, some students didn't take them very seriously, but I've found that if, during the next class, I refer back to something a student said on one of these, it lets them know that I read them and take them seriously. In turn, they take them more seriously now.

9:08 AM  
Blogger lgaffney said...

I also do something similar to this that's called a "ticket in the door" or a "ticket out the door". If it's in the door, I might ask something that measures their understandings of the essential topics associated with the previous night's reading. This allows me to guide my class instruction for any given day. If it's a ticket out the door, it is typically a reflection of some variety that I do following a major paper. Rather than one question, these usually have two or three that ask them to reflect on, for example, what they found most valuable about the paper's creation process and why.
I agree about the value of this feedback. It's honest, it's sincere, and it strongly communicates the fact that their opinion and level of understanding is what determines my instruction, NOT my own agenda.

11:20 AM  
Blogger Jared said...

I am finding that my minute-papers are becoming more effective as I apply the advice that has been given so far. Thank you.

7:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home