Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Extra-curricular Activities

I started working as a speech/language therapist in August of 2002. I taught for the first three years out in the Elizabeth Schools in Elbert County...38 miles, each way, from my house. One of the most difficult parts of working so far from home was not being able to attend or participate in many of the extra-curricular acitivities of my students (if I did attend it took all of my afternoon/evening time away from my own kids). My knowledge of them was limited primarily to therapy time. When I was chosen for this job with LPS, I couldn't wait to figure out how to get involved beyond providing therapy. Even though I have been finishing my masters degree this year, I have been able to do quite a few things - including band concerts, Special Olympics basketball, plays, and athletics events. It may be my first year at LPS, but I already feel like I have built relationships and trust with my students beyond my role as teacher. What extra-curricular activities have you participated in at AHS? How has that impacted your role as teacher and your relationships with the students?

5 Comments:

Blogger James H said...

I think that building these relationships is what teaching is all about. That is what makes the job worth it. I do not know if I could just teach in the classroom and enjoy the job as much.

2:14 PM  
Blogger tstlouis said...

I've been working with the girls soccer team. Although it's been great getting to see kids outside of school, it isn't easy simply because of the time commitment. It doesn't seem like there are enough hours in the day!

7:13 AM  
Blogger ChingyenG said...

I sponsor the Bowling Club. I love it because it allows me opportunities to interact with students other than those who are on an IEP. It's all about balancing, I'd say. :-) You know what, I think I see a Chinese Club on the horizon too.

11:22 AM  
Blogger melissa m.o. said...

I coached for the first 12 years of my teaching career. When baby number 3 arrived, it just became too much! It was always such a joy to meet kids out of my discipline (special ed.). I really miss those interactions. Now I am even more out of the game because I am no longer even in the classroom. The last group of kids I taught are juniors this year so it won't be long before I won't know any of the kids. I am hoping more of you invite me in to your classes next year so I can interact more with kids. I would like to find more ways to be involved that don't require huge committments of time next year. Any ideas?

9:39 AM  
Blogger Krueger said...

This year I have tried not to get in over my head as I have a tendency to do. I've been helping out with DECA and FBLA throughout the year. I've also attended and helped with some other events- Cheerleading competition, Homecoming Dance, Talent Show (teacher and Prom), and the Faculty v. Student basketball game. What I've enjoy most about attending or helping out with these events/activities are the relationships that I've built with the students outside of the classroom. I think that getting to know students in a different environment has allowed me to learn and grow as a teacher. Making that connection is something we should all strive to do.

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home